Sunday, April 15, 2018

The Fourth of Lionel: Cravat Man!

Sorry about that...

On this fourth of Lionel, a shout out to the man of a thousand, er, cravats, Mr Lionel Barrymore! Mr B was known for his bow ties, especially later in life, but in his early career, 19teens and 20s, he rocked a fair number of stunning period, long, and bow ties. The man just could wear some period costumes!

I am particularly fond of these pics, from films as varied as a Hal Roach comedy (Wife Tamers), The Show, and The Splendid Road. I adore a good tie on a well-dressed man. Based on a paper clipping, I also know Mr B personally was overfond of ties: he was once taken to court for an unpaid cravat bill (H/T Jennifer R, sft on fb!)  Feast thine peepers on these lovely ties adorning the birthday boy to be!


As The Greek in THE SHOW
 
WIFE TAMERS promo pic

My color version for valentine's 

C . 1917 

C. 1926


As Captain Butler, 1924, AMERICA

Little brother beats Mike at tie-test, 1926

In full cravat glory, AMERICA
I know, kind of a weak excuse to post pics I love, but his curious fondness for neckwear seems at odds with his self-professed "mañana" attitude to life. And he lived through huge changes in clothing during his lifetime. I like to think he'd be fond of the beautiful ties available now in every color imaginable, though I also imagine he might prefer staying in pajamas all day.

Well, any excuse for posting pics! Happy fourth of Lionel! 

No comments:

Post a Comment